CHANGSTAR: Audiophile Headphone Reviews and Early 90s Style BBS

• December 31, 2015, 11:08:46 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bushmills x Grado Marketing Clusterfuck 'Phones  (Read 3621 times)

MuppetFace

• Miss Anna Logg
  • Mate
  • Pirate
  • Brownie Points: +119/-6
  • First you get a swimming pool full of liquor...
Bushmills x Grado Marketing Clusterfuck 'Phones
« on: December 24, 2013, 12:21:01 PM »

Engineered by Grado Labs.
Made from the wood of Bushmills whiskey barrels.
Tuned by Elijah Wood and Zach Cowie.
Sold exclusively by Turntable Labs.

Geez, it's like the layers of a big marketing onion.
The question is... do these bring tears to the eyes?

Being obsessed with the headphone industry and social engineering in general, the Bushmills Grado caught my eye. I wanted one. No, not because Elijah Wood is a Hottie Mc Hotterson (he is). It was because this is actually kind of a "significant" thing in the headphone world: this is the first commercially available closed headphone from Grado. Okay so it's not really closed as there's a vent somewhere back behind the cups. Still, the shape of the cups makes a pretty big difference for those Grado drivers in my experience, so I was really curious to hear what these sounded like. You could say morbidly curious.

My experience with John's headphones are as follows:

SR80 - Not bad
SR325 - Not bad
SR325is - Hated
RS-1 - Not bad
RS-1i - Hated
PS-1 - Liked
PS500 - Not bad
PS1000 - Not bad

We wont mention Joe who is sort of the Simon to John's Art Garfunkel.

At any rate the addition of wood made from whiskey barrels was enough to push me over the edge. It probably does Jack (hur hur) to the sound, but hey, there's a spirit of experimentation in the air as head-fiers try different tonewoods to see how they flavor their ear shredders of choice. Might as well join in the fun. Plus I always lamented never hearing those Pioneer speakers made from malt whisky barrel wood (oak).

Just one problem: the Bushmills Grados sold out in less than 24 hours! Yikes! Dunno how many John made, but that's still kind of shocking. Not so shocking was what happened about a week later when pairs started popping up on the 'Bay commanding prices as high as $750 USD. This was apparently why John got mad at folks on HF and vowed to never do another limited edition HF model.

Thankfully I managed to score a mint pair for less than a mint. In fact it cost their original retail price of $400. That pair is with me now.

Early subjective impressions:

~> Comes with those comfy pads, the ones that are flat and look like big PortaPro pads? Bleh. The sound with these was immediately not to my liking. Way too muddy.

~> Switched to the big G bowls. There, that's more like it. The bass is still kind of loose and boomy, but it's not nearly as overwhelming and intrusive as before. It manages to keep to its corner of the spectrum. Mostly.

~> Vocals have that typical Grado whispering-sweet-nothings-in-yer-ear presentation. Very forward sounding. Lacking air. Still, the tone is nice. Nothing sounds nasally or pinched. The more I listen, the more evident that much-loved Grado energy becomes. Grados are like rockstars, though rockstars are easy to get tired of quickly.

~> Highs have that Grado edge, but they aren't nearly as bad as I remember the SR325is and RS-1i being. Keep in mind I'm super sensitive to treble right now thanks to my migraines. I still tire of these much more quickly than, say, the HiFiMan HE-400 or 500 or Audez'e. They are pretty laid back for a Grado however.

~> Detail seems pretty darn good. There's smearing down below thanks to a somewhat textureless bass, but the mids and highs definitely convey a good amount of information.

~> Overall, these seem more well rounded than the usual Grado. Maybe somewhere between the SR80 and PS500. They definite strike me as more similar to Grado's lower-end models, and I wouldn't be surprised if these turned out to be th e SR80 drivers, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing since Grado's higher end offerings tend to have serious issues.

~> Oh yeah, the packaging. Much nicer than the usual Grado standard issue pizza box. This time around you get a display box made from wood and a carrying pouch with the Bushmills logo. Longtime Grado fans should consider this downright luxurious. Unfortunately the cable is still the same tangled mess that plagues all Grados.

Grado's first "closed" headphone is not as bad as I expected! Still the $400 price tag is definitely more for the branding and collectibility factor. Not necessarily a bad thing, but if you want better sound for that kind of money then there are more sensible options. Even in Grado's own lineup.

I'll be sending these to either Ultrabike or Purrin or both come January, so expect to see some measurements and more listening impressions.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 12:54:58 PM by MuppetFace »
My blog on head-fi: http://www.head-fi.org/f/7879/muppetface
I mostly talk about music there. Weird.

timjthomas

• Able Bodied Sailor
  • Pirate
  • Brownie Points: +7/-0
Re: Bushmills x Grado Marketing Clusterfuck 'Phones
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2013, 12:48:03 PM »

Nice review - thanks!

funkmeister

• Able Bodied Sailor
  • Pirate
  • Brownie Points: +15/-1
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2013, 01:58:36 PM »

+1 karma for MF  :)p5

Moodyz

• Powder Monkey
  • Brownie Points: +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2013, 02:23:13 PM »

Tuned by Elijah Wood

Serious question.
Does Frodo have any prior experience with headphone tuning, is this just some sort of celebrity endorsement marketing thing?

Edit;
Just googled. Seems he and this Cowie guy are some sort of DJ duo/act. O_o

shipsupt

• Mate
  • Pirate
  • Brownie Points: +160/-4
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2013, 03:11:55 PM »

I always felt let down that I missed my chance to grab the Dolce & Gabbana Grado.  I think they went for around $1250.
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Tari

• Poet Laureate of Changstaria
  • Mate
  • Pirate
  • Brownie Points: +245/-1
  • Is tari a wizard
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2013, 03:33:49 PM »

You guys forget Frodo has plenty of experience with high end gear, like the elephant 6 old-timey tubed space continuum machine that transports you to a world where a guy has a voice you would not expect him to have:

DaveBSC

• Best Korean Sympathizer
  • Able Bodied Sailor
  • Pirate
  • Brownie Points: +222/-50
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2013, 10:06:05 PM »

I'll never understand how you can describe the PS1000 as not bad. Other than the "what the fuck!!!???" GS1000, I'm not sure there's a more distorting headphone out there.

MuppetFace

• Miss Anna Logg
  • Mate
  • Pirate
  • Brownie Points: +119/-6
  • First you get a swimming pool full of liquor...
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2013, 10:25:34 PM »

I'll never understand how you can describe the PS1000 as not bad. Other than the "what the fuck!!!???" GS1000, I'm not sure there's a more distorting headphone out there.

Personally I think people can get a little too caught up in distortion measurements, but that's just me. I can think of some headphones with much cleaner measurements I'd actually rather listen to LESS than the PS1000 just because of other aspects of their character.

The biggest issue I had w/ the PS1000 was the bass which I likened to someone in a mosh pit. Flabby and lacking control. Believe it or not---and if you don't, that's fine---the Zana Deux SE went a long way in helping to reign in that bottom end.
My blog on head-fi: http://www.head-fi.org/f/7879/muppetface
I mostly talk about music there. Weird.

Deep Funk

• Sure is fond of ellipses...
  • Able Bodied Sailor
  • Pirate
  • Brownie Points: +111/-3
  • Born in 1988, eclectic 90-ties!
    • Radjahs2cents
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 09:11:33 PM »

The best Grado I remember is the HF2.

I read about this new Grado on IF and I did not know what to expect. Thanks...
Few things keep me sane: my loved ones, my music and my hobbies. Few is almost an understatement here...

Armaegis

• Uphill, both ways
  • Able Bodied Sailor
  • Pirate
  • Brownie Points: +76/-3
  • metallurgist, rocket scientist, swing dancer
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 04:12:53 AM »

My very first "high end" headphone was a Grado SR80. I've since owned or tried the entire SR series and the HF-1 and HF-2. So far, still haven't found one that I've liked. The 325 was surprisingly not too bad; I keep reading how it was supposed to be the brightest but it didn't feel that way. The HF-1 was painfully bright. Then there was the headphile monstrosity... HF-2 drivers transplanted into a wooden Beyer frame thing. Sounded like a wet sock... still better than the HF-1 though.
Do you think there may be an acoustic leak from the jack hole? ~Tyll Hertsens

Not sure if I like stuffing one hole or both holes. Tending toward one hole since both holes seems kinda ghey ~Purrin
Pages: [1] 2 3