CHANGSTAR: The objectivist subjectivist cult of headphonedom

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10

Author Topic: Schiit Magni vs. Objective 2 (BLIND TEST EXTRAVANGANZA)  (Read 25361 times)

BlackenedPlague

• Able Bodied Sailor
  • Powder Monkey
  • Apologetic shitposter
    • Dimak
Re: Schiit Magni vs. Objective 2 (BLIND TEST EXTRAVANGANZA)
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2013, 10:25:36 AM »

Thanks for the response!

There was someone on Reddit replying to any post that was advocating Schiit products with a rant about all future Schiit products cannot be trusted because there was no relay in their old ones. I quoted your response as a retort and I haven't seen him pop back in.

I really am impressed by how quickly you replied to my post.

It isn't that we shouldn't trust a company for not having a component, it's that we should be weary of a company that allows heavy mistakes to be made, I like the attitude (even if it's needlessly vulgar) and seeming-honesty of Schiit, but the problems of old make me hesitant about their offerings

Analixus

• Dikus Beligerantis Analmorticus
  • Master
  • Pirate
« Reply #73 on: February 06, 2013, 10:59:09 AM »

That person being an a-hole was Shike, that's why we call it the 'Shike relay' because he was dumb enough to keep his phones plugged in during power on/off cycles.  A no-no in headphone 101.  He just likes to blame other people to cover up for his own incompetence.  Next will be a limiter to cap volume at 75dB.  Oh wait, that's the whole European continent.  Good thing our AC cables are keyed triple prongs so people don't accidentally plug them into their ass.

As Jason stated about a million times, every amp they make now has the idiot relay built in.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu

donunus

• Cheapus Sexus
  • Mate
  • Pirate
« Reply #74 on: February 08, 2013, 03:10:32 AM »

Anax, so is the magni hands down better than the o2 for you on the hd800? or other cans in general? I'm thinking of getting the stack for the looks and price alone hehehe
Team Delicious and Juicy Sound

Analixus

• Master
  • Pirate
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2013, 10:22:29 AM »

As weird as this sounds, I can't really say.  I have yet to do any sighted listening comparisons, so it's hard for me to recommend anything playing from a switch box with the cables being swapped or not swapped after each track/sample.  So the results above are whatever they are.  I plan on doing a sighted comparison under more normal and relaxed conditions.  I have some portable stuff I need to wrap up this week first.  It's just really strange to recommend X over Y if you never saw what you were listening to. 

Shike

• Powder Monkey
« Reply #76 on: February 11, 2013, 10:34:47 AM »

That person being an a-hole was Shike, that's why we call it the 'Shike relay' because he was dumb enough to keep his phones plugged in during power on/off cycles.  A no-no in headphone 101.  He just likes to blame other people to cover up for his own incompetence.  Next will be a limiter to cap volume at 75dB.  Oh wait, that's the whole European continent.  Good thing our AC cables are keyed triple prongs so people don't accidentally plug them into their ass.

As Jason stated about a million times, every amp they make now has the idiot relay built in.

Actually, I have the emails from Jason saying that the transient (including me sending him video of the K702 buckling) was perfectly normal and safe and as such was just fine leaving the headphones plugged in.  His saying it was safe even after the video is why I started the HF thread ages ago.  He didn't even realize the DC offset was that high until karth measured it with a fluke, then claimed it was "planned" that way and that everyone should know the proper power-cycle (which was made for sources that output DC and not amps and thus opposite of what was needed).

But by all means, let's go with revised history.

schiit

• Schiit Audio
  • Pirate-at-Heart
  • Powder Monkey
  • Terrible gear for the least discerning listeners.
    • Schiit Audio
« Reply #77 on: February 11, 2013, 11:04:34 AM »

Actually, I have the emails from Jason saying that the transient (including me sending him video of the K702 buckling) was perfectly normal and safe and as such was just fine leaving the headphones plugged in.  His saying it was safe even after the video is why I started the HF thread ages ago.  He didn't even realize the DC offset was that high until karth measured it with a fluke, then claimed it was "planned" that way and that everyone should know the proper power-cycle (which was made for sources that output DC and not amps and thus opposite of what was needed).

Yes, because if you read the whole thread, I was operating on the assumption that the on-off transient was about 150mV, which is what I saw in our engineering notebooks. This was over a weekend, and I had other commitments, so I wasn't able to verify the actual transient until KWkarth had made his measurements. Obviously, my recollection was incorrect. I'll be the first to admit I'm not perfect.

This, however, does not invalidate my assertion that we thought we were making the highest-performing products possible that could require some care with their use. Take a look at the output of Theta DS Pro Gen V. No muting relay. Direct out. If you don't follow a power-up sequence, it'll be a bad day. Again, I'm not saying this is right. This is frequently how it is, in products aimed at maximum performance.

This is also all in the thread. If anyone is interested, it starts here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/562736/what-causes-this-amp-related

Also in the head-fi thread is our response: we decided to scrap the current Asgard boards that were in the boardhouse so we could add a relay mute, and develop a relay retrofit for the older Asgards.

When we had the retrofit developed and tested, we notified early Asgard and Lyr owners and offered them a relay retrofit, free of charge. Many of them took the offer, some did not. Our offer to retrofit any early Asgard or Lyr extends to any owner, at any time--if you buy one secondhand and don't hear a mechanical click 10-15 seconds after you turn it on, and want the relay added, contact us and we'll take care of you.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:22:31 AM by schiit »
Lots o Schiit around here.

Shike

• Powder Monkey
« Reply #78 on: February 11, 2013, 11:27:31 AM »

The reality is Anax wants to call me an idiot for taking your word for it, so I'm going to post the facts on that front.

I think you guys did a lot right on the follow-up, but we seem to have slightly different interpretations of what actually happened.

This, however, does not invalidate my assertion that we thought we were making the highest-performing products possible that could require some care with their use. Take a look at the output of Theta DS Pro Gen V. No muting relay. Direct out. If you don't follow a power-up sequence, it'll be a bad day. Again, I'm not saying this is right. This is frequently how it is, in products aimed at maximum performance.

Well, it does invalidate it to an extent.  The problem is you never mentioned any care needed at the front-end and simply didn't know it existed.  If your asertion is that we should know the proper on-off cycle for sources that put off DC that's one thing (it still wouldn't require unplugging headphones).  Other than that I don't know what care you could exactly be referring too?

As mentioned though the Theta is a source device, which means the power on-off cycle will be different from what was needed of the Asgard.  Equally, said power cycle never required you to unplug your speakers.

At this point in time, I'd simply be satisifed with a simple "Sorry, we fucked up" and call it a day rather than an explanation on why you decided against relays.

schiit

• Schiit Audio
  • Pirate-at-Heart
  • Powder Monkey
  • Terrible gear for the least discerning listeners.
    • Schiit Audio
« Reply #79 on: February 11, 2013, 11:31:42 AM »

I've said "Sorry, we fucked up," many times. Here's one of them:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1014902/ocns-most-recommended-audio-products/1890#post_19066335

(point 2)

We're not perfect. However, we do make things right.
Lots o Schiit around here.

Analixus

• Master
  • Pirate
« Reply #80 on: February 11, 2013, 11:35:42 AM »

Sadly, your own sense of revisionism never seems to include any perspectives which either answer or resolve issues you seem bent on using to tear down people to make yourself look better.  You have an inherent flaw, like many absolutists, to only consider your own viewpoint which is why it's pointless to engage you in any constructive fashion.  Sonic walls are for testing electrical devices, not human interaction.  But feel free to ignore the fact that you were incompetent enough to power cycle your amp with your sensitive phones plugged in.  How much are you getting from Toyota with your case of unintended acceleration btw?  Jason explained his PoV and accepted responsibility for any misunderstandings.  You have never done so and continue to use your 'story' as ammunition for whatever crusade you seem bent on.  If you want to try the high ground for once as Jason has, then maybe we can move on.  If that's not something that interests you, then you don't need to be here since the only thing that brought you here was Googling yourself (not surprising).

Edit - So let me know if we are moving on or if you want to continue a bad argument and I have to act accordingly.

marvey

• Don of the Beats Mafia
  • Master
  • Pirate
  • aka Purrin
« Reply #81 on: February 11, 2013, 11:51:27 AM »

« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:57:46 AM by purrin »

Shike

• Powder Monkey
« Reply #82 on: February 11, 2013, 11:54:24 AM »

Sadly, your own sense of revisionism never seems to include any perspectives which either answer or resolve issues you seem bent on using to tear down people to make yourself look better.  You have an inherent flaw, like many absolutists, to only consider your own viewpoint which is why it's pointless to engage you in any constructive fashion.  Sonic walls are for testing electrical devices, not human interaction.  But feel free to ignore the fact that you were incompetent enough to power cycle your amp with your sensitive phones plugged in.  How much are you getting from Toyota with your case of unintended acceleration btw?  Jason explained his PoV and accepted responsibility for any misunderstandings.  You have never done so and continue to use your 'story' as ammunition for whatever crusade you seem bent on.  If you want to try the high ground for once as Jason has, then maybe we can move on.  If that's not something that interests you, then you don't need to be here since the only thing that brought you here was Googling yourself (not surprising).

Edit - So let me know if we are moving on or if you want to continue a bad argument and I have to act accordingly.

You sure say a whole not of nothing.  Are you going to call Jason an idiot for telling users to leave their headphones plugged in?  No?  However, you will surely call people that follow his instruction idiots yes?

facepalm

@Jason

We're cool now.

MuppetFace

• Is Not a Cat
  • Master
  • Pirate
  • First you get a swimming pool full of liquor...
« Reply #83 on: February 11, 2013, 11:57:12 AM »

I don't have any sort of stake in this, but "we're cool now" strikes me as a load of horseschiit given that Jason has acknowledged his mistake numerous times before. Did you just not see that until now? Are you going to forget again when you discover you can drag it out on another forum?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10